Page 9 of 10
How can we reduce the noise?
Do you want to make children quiet? Sure, good luck with that.
If the subject is older students, it is possible to decrease noise among them.
Here’s a few examples:
- Quieter behaviour during breaks and lessons.
- Speaking just loud enough to understand each other.
- Walking instead of running.
- Spending as much time possible outside during breaks.
- Designing the school building in terms of accoustics.
Why reduce the noise?
- 65% of Europe’s population is exposed to noise of over 55dB, which can lead to anxiety and sleep disorders.
- 70% of teachers suffer from minor hearing loss.
- It is estimated that by 2025 over 900 million people will suffer from hearing loss of about 25dB.
- 8 hours of daily exposure to over 80dB is enough to noticeably damage your hearing.
- http://www.hear-it.org/school-noise-detrimental-hearing-and-learning (They’ve got a free hearing test, go check it out!)